Monday, August 04, 2008

A new potato recipe!

We found ourselves with a lot of potatoes - I'd bought some at the store and my father graciously gave us a bag of them from his garden. Getting a bit tired of our normal potato preparations and after Mr. R pointed out that I'd never made him my own personal version of potato salad (he has a family recipe, I have a family recipe, and ne'er the two shall meet), we opted for a German potato salad - a bacon-based dressing, served warm. I'd seen this Mary Nolan recipe the one time I watched her show, "Chic and Easy," and it stuck with me. Definitely not your typical mayo-filled fare.

First, get the potatoes boiling in salted water (HELLO HOME GROWN POTATOES!)


Then, you must cook the bacon - as you can see here, I did not use the half-pound required in the recipe (my pan cannot accommodate that much in one go)

While the bacon cooked, I got the rest of my ingredients ready to go - cider vinegar, sugar, onions, and Dijon mustard


While I was working, Mr. R made hamburgers

Once the bacon is crisp, time for the onions to have their turn in the bacon fat


About 8 minutes later, the onions were ready and it was time for the dressing-making


Add the Dijon, sugar, and vinegar to the hot onions - along with a generous helping of black pepper. Stir until thickened.


Then, slice your potatoes into fairly thick slices (maybe not as thick as mine, those suckers were hot!) and add to the dressing - toss to coat and place into your classy serving bowl. I opted to top it with some green onion (did not have chives on hand).


Serve warm with a delicious gorgonzola topped burger, and you're good to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your German heritage is coming through. Your Grandmother Connor used to make hot German potatoe salad in similar fashion,