Monday, August 18, 2008

Zucchini lasagna - more ways to use garden zucchini

I have yet more zucchini to use up, so I went to an old family standby - the zucchini lasagna. Luckily, unlike a summer many years ago, I only made ONE lasagna, not years' worth of lasagna.

First, the veggies had to be dealt with - two medium onions and one small green pepper from my dad's garden


Those were added to a pound of ground beef and two links of Italian sausage to brown up:


Then I chopped up our "star" ingredient, the zucchini:


And grated cheese, in this case mozzarella and pecorino romano:


And got the filling together - ricotta, herbs, salt/pepper, and an egg:


Meanwhile, I added in the remaining tomato sauce from last week into the meat/veg sauce:


Then I looked at the filling again and decided it needed to be thinner, hence, another egg:


And prepared the pan with a large ladleful of the sauce:


Then began the layering - sauce, noodles, zucchini, ricotta filling, cheese...


Until I filled the pan


I baked this at 375 degrees for probably close to an hour - I covered it with foil for the first 3/4 and then took it off towards the end (when I failed to photograph it). I also made some breadsticks with the remaining pizza dough - dough, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some Parmesan cheese.


It was pretty good - I definitely needed more sauce, it was a tiny bit dry. I still have more than half a pack of lasagna noodles, though, so I can probably take another crack at it if I desire...I'm sure we've got more zucchini lurking in the fridge.

No comments: