Monday, August 04, 2008

A shout-out to Mrs. A

So, during Ladies Weekend, Miss A told us how her mother made killer grilled cheese sandwiches and that her secret weapon was...dum dum dum...MAYONNAISE! I'd never heard of such a sandwich creature before, and being a huge grilled cheese fan myself, I had to give it a whirl.

The magic ingredient itself (and note, reduced fat mayo has SIGNIFICANTLY fewer calories and fat grams than butter does, so in a way, this was a "light" grilled cheese)


I wasn't sure how thick to go - so, I opted for a light coating of mayo on a whole grain oatmeal bread (more on that later)


Onto the medium griddle (once the cheese was added of course!)


Mmmm....oozing cheese


The child-like lunch was complete with a side of tots


I have to say, I did enjoy this sandwich. The bread I chose, however, was not the best for grilled cheese. For that, you need white bread or very plain wheat bread, in my opinion. This was a bit grainy to be called a classic, and as a result, it didn't crisp up quite the same way. Maybe if I'd used MORE mayo. That isn't to say it wasn't good - just a bit less crunchy than my typical grilled cheese. Will definitely be trying this "method" again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to dinner at Cap City a few weeks ago and had their grilled cheese for the first time. I have to say-- amazing! They use cheese, butter, tomato, and fried egg on white bread (ok, not the HEALTHIEST item ever), but it is damn good