Friday, August 08, 2008

Zucchini bread

I must admit to being a bit gunshy about baking after the previous adventures, but I have a fair bit of zucchini to use up, so zucchini bread it had to be. I was motivated by this Martha Stewart recipe, but ended up diverging from the recipe significantly. 1) I don't really like ALL those spices - I stuck with cinnamon and fresh nutmeg. 2) I didn't want all the oil, so I used a half-cup of unsweetened applesauce and only 1/3 c oil. This made for a VERY moist batter and it took slightly longer to cook. 3) To make up for a bit of the moisture, I probably increased the flour by 2-3 tbsp. It came out very moist and tasty - slightly less sweet than I'd have liked, so if I employ this recipe again, I'll probably up the sugar just a tiny bit. Or add some banana, something to add sweetness. But it was pretty good for just whipping it together on a whim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks delish, but where's the cream cheese frosting?!

w/o it, though, you can def. consider it a "health" food ;)

Mo said...

Remind me to send you my mom's recipe. I LOVE it.