Monday, January 21, 2008

Haze of Yeast

After an unfortunate 5 hours at work, I flew home and did some big baking/cooking. First off, I prepared some pizza dough for dinners later in the week (in theory, I may freeze some of it). I'll speak to that more when I actually use the dough.

Next, I decided to build off of my pleasurable cinnamon toast experience and make some homemade cinnamon bread. I've made this bread before, and have been eating it for, oh, let's see...15 years? ish? Ever since my dad first got the Kitchenaid that I currently use (he upgraded to a six-quarter a few years ago).
First, you get your warm liquids percolating on the stove - 1 cup of milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1/3 c butter. Just warm them over low heat, the butter doesn't need to melt, you just want them heated to around 120 degrees. Meanwhile, mix 6 c flour, 6 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 packets active dry yeast in the bowl of your mixer. Mix them up with your dough hook. Add 3 eggs, one at a time.* Add your warm liquids. Mix. Gradually add another 1/2 c to 1 1/2 c flour, mixing on a low-moderate speed (Speed 2 on Kitchenaids) until the dough clings and cleans the side of the bowl.

Allow to knead for another two minutes beyond the "cling/clean" phase, then place into a greased bowl, turning to cover with the top, and place in a warm place, away from drafts, for 35 minutes, until doubled in bulk.**

At this point, melt 2 tbsp butter and separately mix 1/2 c sugar and 2tsp cinnamon. Punch down the dough and roll into 9x14 inch rectangle. Brush the dough rectangles with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and roll up into a log, tucking under the ends. Place into a 9x5x3 loaf pan, and allow to rise again for another 35 minutes.



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and brush the tops with a beaten egg white. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.


My INTENT is to inhale one loaf and freeze the other to take to my in-laws this weekend. Fingers crossed this happens...






*Has anyone else noticed how Paula Deen says "one at THE time?" It infuriates me.

**This go round, 35 minutes came and went with little yeast progress in this dough. This has happened to me a few times with certain recipes. With the pizza dough, the rising time was perfectly fine, and this one, I was a bit concerned I'd put the warm liquids in a bit too hot. I just gave it another 20 minutes, and all seemed ok.

No comments: