Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sausage mania

My love affair with the sausage continues. Last night's dinner (sorry for the bad picture, again, I have a crap camera and, well, I'm a lawyer not a photog) featured the always delicious Schmidt's Bahama Mama sausage paired with some sour cream/cheesy mashed potatoes and for me (not R, who shrieked at even having to remove it from the microwave) lovely (but lame) frozen broccoli with cheese sauce. It is a super easy meal, particularly when either of us has to work a long day. I throw the sausages in the oven to crisp up, I throw the potatoes with their skins on (no peeling unless there will be company!) in some salted water to boil. Once softened, I mash them, throw in some butter, sour cream, handful of cheese (if desired), toss a veg in the micro, and away we go. I love to cook the sausages in the oven because it's a hands-off cooking process and they get nice and crispy on the outside and stay reasonably moist on the inside, if you don't overdo it. These got alarmingly large (plump) in the oven, but deflated a bit as they cooled.

I cannot stress enough that if you find yourself in Columbus, Ohio with an hour or two to spare and you are wearing large pants, you should go to the Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. It is fab. There is a buffet. I will say that I've not LOVED the buffet the last few times I've gone, but maybe it's because the "newness" of the buffet wore off. I did become reacquainted with ordering from the menu, and that made me fall in love with Schmidt's all over again. People take scenic tours of Ohio (I don't know why) and the bus rolls through town and stops there. There is also a fudge haus. You should go. Go. Now. Wear large pants.

No comments: