Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mr. R's Magical Kitchen

Apparently Jamie Oliver's new show, Jamie at Home, has been sparking appetites throughout the land. Last week, I saw on Well Fed that someone had written up the recipe that is strangely missing from the Food Network site. My friend L independently saw this recipe and is drawn to it. And also independently, my husband watched the show where Jamie makes this recipe and decided that on his day off of work yesterday, he would prepare this for us.

I must say, this is simply delicious. Had I known my husband was so capable, I'd have left the cooking to him long ago.

Ok, so first you make a stew of delicious beef and Guinness and vegetables and what not. It looks rather unappetizingly brown, but it was delicious. I know Mr. R put some dried thyme in there and garlic. He said there was a fair amount of celery, which he normally hates, so I tip my hat to him for not getting upset. Oh, and he used chopped portabello mushrooms.

Meanwhile, you roll out some puff pastry, enough to fit the bottom of your baking vessel, in our case, a large Fiestaware serving dish. We didn't roll out quite enough, but oh well. We decided to blind bake the bottom a bit, to ensure it was cooked through. Once that was done, we put some cheese at the bottom, topped it with half of the filling, more cheese (to be honest, I'm not sure what point the cheese served, but I'm not going to mess with this recipe), then....

Oh wait, I forgot the peas. While the dish is baking, cook and butter some peas. The end. Haha, I'm kidding, it isn't the end.
Ok, back to the pie. We rolled out another bit of puff pastry, scored it, threw it on top of the pie, and egg washed it. Sling it back in the oven to bake until golden brown.

Gently serve and drizzle (?) peas over top. MMM....I can feel the stouty goodness oozing about....It was SO very good...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy. Perfect for a cold winter night.

But, I'm kinda on the fence about Jamie at Home. It is soothing, though. I like how there's no music in the background b/c some of those food network programs are getting a little out of control with the "background" music.

Mo said...

Oh Guinness Beef Stew, how I love thee. Let me count the ways. Meat. Guinness. Carrots. Potatoes. MEAT!!! GUINNESS!!!!!