Monday, January 07, 2008

Sunday roast

A recent Pioneer Woman post inspired me to make pot roast on Sunday. I adopted her technique of browning the onions/carrots as well as the beef itself prior to the long, slow roast in the oven. I fell back on the tried and true cream of mushroom soup/onion soup mix "braising" liquid method . I threw in some beef broth and wine for good measure. We also threw some random steak seasoning onto the large chuck roast. This steak seasoning was the bomb - it was a grinder filled with sea salt, huge peppercorns, whole mustard seeds, rosemary, thyme, oregano, coriander, and other delish spices and herbs. It was fab. R accidentally dropped the entire jar of spice mix onto one side of the roast and the counter (the lid was not on right) but we managed to salvage some of the spice mix and rub the rest off the roast. Regardless, the roast came out of its long oven roasting well, and made a delish gravy for the embarrassingly large heap of mashed potatoes. The green beans on the side were an after thought...and those too were good dipped in gravy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post made me a tad homesick... pot roast reminds me of my mom :)

But, I like your use of gravy. My family seems to think gravy can only be had on Thanksgiving when, really, it tastes delish year around.