Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A chicken journey

After Sunday's pot roast adventures, I opted for something SLIGHTLY lighter for our Tuesday (and tonight) dinner.

I returned to my Penzey's Greek seasoning and paired about 1 1/2 tbsp of that with 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil, 3 sliced cloves of garlic, 2 zested and juiced lemons, and approximately 1 pound of chicken breasts cut into strips. Then I tossed the destroyed lemons in for good measure. All of this was put into a big plastic bag and placed in the fridge. I did this before work, then went merrily on my way to draft constitutional amendments and bills and all the important work of government. Probably a bit of an overkill marinade for chicken, however, the chicken was NOT tough, so I think the olive oil helped keep the lemon juice from destroying the fibers of the chicken.

On returning home, I got some baking potatoes scrubbed, sliced, and lightly olive oil'd up and into a hot oven to crisp up. I chopped up some veggies - red onion, tomato, romaine lettuce. Then I made a modified tzatziki sauce. Mine was made of drained nonfat yogurt*, a bit of sour cream, some red wine vinegar, dill, salt, and pepper. Then I cooked up the chicken in a hot skillet.


Finally, I brushed some lovely pitas with a bit of seasoned olive oil, tossed them in the oven for a few minutes, then stuffed them with all the above goodies, tossed them on the plate with my potatoes, and bob's your uncle.

Update - for night 2 of this meal, I stopped and grabbed some feta cheese. It really makes all the differences. I mean, the pitas were fine the night before, but mmm...cheese...


*To drain the yogurt, I simply put a coffee filter in a metal strainer, then put the strain over a bowl. Then put the yogurt in the coffee filter. Allow to "drain" for a day or two. It is AMAZINGLY gross how much liquid comes out. And how thick the yogurt gets. This is a way to make "yogurt cheese" I believe. You can add herbs and seasonings to this, and it is like a whipped cream cheese almost. Non fat and low in calories though.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I love pitas. We have not had them in a long time, I think I will put them on next weeks menu.