Friday, April 11, 2008

Hot Meat Express

That title sounds horrifying in retrospect. What I'm referring to is the next item on the monthly menu chart, "random chicken sandwich." So, that is what we had, but I improved on it by adding a SECOND magical meat - BACON.

First, the chicken spent the night in a lovely bath of rice wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil, some Lawry's seasoning salt, some Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, and worcestershire sauce.


Then, the first prep step was to start the bacon. I kept an eye on it, so Daisy didn't get any ideas.
Here's a lovely pile of crispy (almost too crispy) bacon. Again, Daisy thought about it, but then thought better of it (went for the wrapper in the trash instead).
Then the marinated chicken got its turn in the bacon grease.
As the chicken finished up, I started layering the buns. After toasting them lightly, a thin layer of cheddar.
Then some of my defrosted caramelized onions and roasted peppers.
Then the hot chicken.
Then the bacon (this is kind of boring, the photography, not the sandwich)
Then, aw heck, more cheese, and a run back into the still-warm oven.
Pop the top of the bun on, and we have a meal. I was craving a baked potato last night, so I split one with Mr. R and served some lovely green beans along side (tossed with shallot salt, I heart that stuff). Lovely!

2 comments:

Miss A said...

Those sandwiches DO look delicious, but with the glare off the tin foil, it looks like they are aflame! Very dramatic. :)

Wind Trapper said...

HAHAHA! That was for dramatic effect!